Friday, December 25, 2009

You Can Never Go Wrong with Gift Cards

Its kind of become normal in my family to give money to each other instead of buying a gift for Christmas. In my family, we prefer to buy our "wants" throughout the year rather than on birthdays and holidays....

Most people like getting actual gifts, such as clothing and jewelry.

But I personally do not.

I hate getting clothing because you run into 3 problems:

Wrong size
Wrong color
Wrong style

I prefer to look at gift giving from the aspect of getting the most of your money, rather than the sentiment of the thought that counts.

I mean if its one thing I have learned about people who buy you clothes for Christmas or Birthdays, is that they will often shop for you as if they were shopping for themselves. Meaning, they pick out items that they would like with absolutely no regard your opinion.

My aunt did this to me last year. Of course I had a chance to go to the store and pick out stuff for myself but I decided against it to go hang with my sister's friends. The problem is my aunt is Pentecostal, and therefore believes in the skirt wearing ideals. I don't despise skirts, but I mostly wear pants.

At the time of getting the skirt, I was put off but I have since started welcoming skirts into my wardrobe so it worked out.

But still, when you think about it like this, it makes you rethink the kind of stuff to buy someone:

When you go along with the view that its the thought that counts, you waste money buying something that the person may not even like. Ask yourself, do you really want to waste your money like that?

When you give the person money or a gift card, at least you know they will get something they enjoy...of course, it does show that you don't care enough to figure out the kind of things that person would want...but at least you are playing it safe though.

I guess it depends on the person you are buying for.

Gift Cards are better than money because it limits the person. If you bought a card to a clothing store, then you know its going towards that only.

I just don't think you can go wrong with them...I know I much prefer that to actual gifts these days.

0 comments: