Monday, December 21, 2009

My view on HD and Blu-ray

The most suckiest thing happened a few hours ago. The big tv in the living room of the apartment, has finally fried...after 10 years...

I had a feeling it was going to happen eventually...I mean for the last few months I kept wondering to myself, "what am I going to do if the tv stops working?"

Had this happened a few months back I would have lost it completely...I would have cried gotten angry and all that. Had this happened about a month ago, before my mom got the internet working again, I would have also been very angry.

But I didn't get angry, I actually just shrugged, felt annoyed that I would have to move the giganto tv somehow. Mom already had the internet going by then, and living on campus without a tv in my room (unlike everyone else) has kinda helped me get over having to have the tv constantly. Now I only watch it when I am at home.

Luckily there was still a small tv in my bedroom that I am hardly in, that I could plug into the cables in the living room....

Thankfully both televisions are Orion, so I didn't have to worry about finding that paper to change the code on the remote.

Unless this tv konks out too, we are stuck with it til mom can afford a new one. This means we are going to have to buy a flat screen or LCD tv since that is all they sell...

Its weird, with the old tv sets, they used to run like a hundred dollars for a good sized television, but now its like 200 dollars for just a small one.

Now what does this have to do with blu ray and HD? Well, the fact that my mom is going to be forced into having to buy a flat screen/lcd tv whenever she gets the chance, reminds me of how things like Blu ray and HD are taking over.

I hate being forced into keeping up with technology. I am a choices kind of person...when DVD was taking over, I was having issues with my vcr, so I hardly watched it. VHS tapes were getting damaged due to my not taking care of them. My aunt bought my mom and I a dvd player, and from then on out its been dvds in this house. It was made easier by buying a portable dvd player for christmas (which I no longer use), and then made even more easier by using a laptop/computer.

I hate blu-ray. I don't want it do to DVDs what DVD did to VHS. I mean, I am sure blu-ray quality is great and awesome, but personally I don't care to shell out 10 extra dollars for it.
.
I don't care for any of that HD stuff and blu-ray stuff. I mean, it just feels like a waste, as soon as it becomes mainstream, technology will further advance to make something even better...

What annoys me is that stores and rental places only exclusively sell one version after the transition period of selling both. So you are FORCED into having to waste money on something you really don't care to have, simply so you can watch your movies.

This must be how people felt when color tv came in. Heck, my mom told me it wasn't until the 1970s she finally got to see color tv.

There is nothing wrong with society advancing technologically, as long as we give people the choice not to have to waste their money to conform to it.

0 comments: