Sunday, December 27, 2009

The weird thing about my morals

I am against premarital sex, I am anti-smoking (very very anti-smoking), I am also a Prohibitionist aka a teetotaler aka anti-alcohol.

But even though I have these morals now and the decision not to do any of them, I am starting to think that when I was younger, in middle school and high school, were not so much morals but forced circumstances.

When you are not presented the opportunity to do something like drinking, its easy to be anti-drinking or smoking. Why? Because you are not being influenced.

We all know the teen years are most critical. Had I been social instead of anti-social in high school it is very well possible that my views would be completely different than they are now.

Yes, now at age 20, I KNOW that I want to be anti-smoking and anti-drinking. But at age 15 I think I would have been vulnerable enough to drink had I been encouraged or social enough and attended parties.

I have always kind of had a disdain for smoking, I could never stand the smell, but even I went through a period where I thought it looked cool.

I have tasted alcohol on two occasions before. Wine and beer. When I tried the beer I actually ran to get a cup of soda to get the horrible taste of beer out of my mouth. It was then at age 17, that I realized that I wasn't missing out at all and that I wanted no part of the alcohol craze everyone seems to have.

But I still can't help but think, had the influence to smoke or drink been there at the more impressionable ages of my life, would my view of such things be different than they are now?

Do you think our morals only become morals because we adapt to forced circumstances? Only is it later on do we find reasons to be anti-smoking or anti-alcohol.

0 comments: