Saturday, December 19, 2009

Maybe its because you took out the book readings for the final

I just found out that I got a B on my final. I officially have a B for that class. It was such a relief.

You see, we took 3 regular tests throughout the semester and then the final. Our teacher curves test scores because so many do so horribly (and yet he doesn't understand why).

I was very upset after my second test when I had put in more study time than the first test, but actually did 10 points worse. Now with the curves, I had still gotten a C just like the first one because the curve was slightly different...meaning, had I gotten the same points as the first test, the second test would have been a B instead of a C.

So in once sense, I lucked out...but in another sense, I didn't.

Anyways, the 3 tests are based on chapter readings (which are like 50 pages per chapter) and lecture notes. Now seriously, who reads the chapters?

The final though was based solely on the lectures.

Now the psych teacher says many students did better on the final...partly because he decided to do something he had never done before, he decided that if you did better on your final than you did on your other tests, then that is the score you will get for your grade for the class.

He admits that he makes his tests hard, but then he excuses it by saying "I can't help it".....

Now we students had a reason to study much more for this final...for starters we already know to study for a final, but now the grade incentive gave us reason to study.

As he was saying the scores for the class were better, he attributed it to studying hard.

But he forgot one detail...the fact that the final was only about the lectures.

Believe me this made a difference. It meant we didn't have to try and retain alot of reading and information. Because most of us do not read the book, we would have had to read it before the final, along with reading our notes...thats what causes us to do bad. We are trying to fight to retain too much information in such a short little time...besides, it would be a miracle if someone could read through all those hundreds of pages without falling asleep.

But either way, I am sooooooo glad I did not fail that class...I seriously had given up hope. I studied even harder for that 3rd test and managed to pull a B on that by just a few points...the curve was just like the second test....

Now I can focus my worry on philosophy class.

0 comments: