Thursday, October 15, 2009

The reason many students and even teachers get sick...

I am getting sick...brought on either by running my fan at night or some other student came into contact with me while they were sick.

It is likely the latter...

both high school and college are set up to make it almost impossible to catch up.

In high school i went home alot during school, not feeling well and then getting full blown sick as soon as I got home...but then sophomore year came along and classes got too hard to miss...I refused to miss a day of school until senior year where my second semester load wasn't rough....I missed one day because I had to go to the hospital cause I wasn't feeling too well...

Today I only have one lecture class to go to...but even sick I will go, so I can get my notes...

Many of the professors because of the swine flu are encouraging students to stay home. One professor postponed his pop quiz for a later date because many people are getting sick...another professor who usually likes to give extra points in class decided he would just flat out give everyone points in order to not encourage sick people to go to class.

You see in a lecture class, often the professor will not teach by the book. Sure you can email and ask for notes from other students (like alot of people do), but the chances are they won't send them to you.

Many sick people these days are forced to go to school because the teachers who encourage you not to are not very forgiving if you miss a quiz or don't do your essay. Some are like email the essay or show up for class long enough to give me your essay...etc.

It will be my luck (I have bad luck) that my being sick gets worse in class....right now its hard to blow my nose cause it won't come out, but when I get to class, its gonna get stuffy and its gonna want to come out...

It sux that school now punishes you for taking care of yourself....

Whenever I get sick its gonna take weeks to recover...a simple cold usually takes me 3 weeks or more to fully recover. Colds, flus, fevers, usually leave me with horrible side effects....such as throat problems and weakness.....

I can't afford any doctor....

We all know the school system is screwed up...but its bad when students like me, have to go to class when they are sick just to keep from falling behind....My philosophy has always been, if I am not sick to the point of complete and utter weakness that I can't bear to move away from my bed, then I should go to school.

The only true working solution is to go back to the way teachers used to do it, and just excuse those students from those assignments rather than give them an extra load. I mean if its an assignment that doesn't have like an immediate due date, thats one thing. Like with essays, if you have a week to a month to do an essay then being absent once in that entire time line shouldn't really affect your ability to do your essay unless you were extremely sick to the point of not being able to move well or dizzinness or hospitalization.

But assignments with an immediate due date, like a worksheet...why not excuse them?

0 comments: