Sunday, January 3, 2010

My Views on Alcoholism

I am staunchly against alcohol, therefore I take very little pity over alcoholics. The same with smokers.

When it comes to who gets an organ, I think smokers, druggies (like heroin, cocaine etc), and alcoholics should be at the bottom.

I don't apply that logic to obesity though, or cancers, or diabetes or accidents or any of that, to me those should not be grounds for being at the bottom of the list.

People say alcoholism is a disease. I am sorry but you chose to drink. Yeah no one sets out to become addicts, but its obvious that its a possibility when you start drinking it.

I am sure the addiction is hard to beat, but the truth is, its a severe addiction not a disease.

A disease has to do with the body...you don't automatically just become an alcoholic out of nowhere, NO! You had to start drinking it first, something you chose to do logically.

People calling alcoholism a disease is like excusing drunk driving.

It causes people to take less personal responsibility in trying to quit. Just like with being overweight, its not a disease, its a lifestyle choice that can result in one having diseases, just the same with smoking.

Not only should people be admitting they have a problem, they should take personal responsibility for that problem.

I guess you can say the reason I am very cold towards alcoholics is that I am extremely anti-alcohol. It has caused so many unnecessary problems.

In the end, alcohol is an addiction because alcohol companies use ingredients to make it addictive, so there is no bearing to the disease part. People get to low points in life or have too much fun and they become dependent on drinking because of its addiction and the way it makes them feel, it turns them into addicts who can't quit cause any addiction is hard to beat...but in the end to call it a disease is an insult to people who have real diseases that they have no control over.

0 comments: