Monday, November 30, 2009

I think listening to music while studying is subjective

Some recommend you NOT listen to music while studying. Some recommend you do. Some say listen to classical/instrumental/soothing music, others say you should listen to what YOU like.

Its all subjective if you ask me. What works for you may not work for me. I love classical music, new age music, instrumental music, so I have no problem playing it, thats where I get my thoughtful moments, thats how I get to my happy place.

But I am not sure if it will help me studying. For me, its both a distraction and escape from other distractions.

My roommate's blaring her tv loudly, so my music drowns it out, id much rather be distracted by something I like and have control over.

For me, if I do listen to music while studying it has to be soothing. I have almost every genre of music on my itunes, but the only one that is good for me to hear while studying is my classical/new age music. Pop music will make me want to dance or sing along.

Now the question is does listening to music really work? Some say it really doesn't. But some say it does. That is what makes it ultimately subjective, we all have our own way of studying. There is always an exception to the rule, there is always is always two sides to a statistic.

It also depends on the situation you are in...in any normal situation I wouldn't want to listen to music, but i need something to help me not get distracted by other loud noises that are out of my control.

0 comments: